Get Help With Your Essay
"Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."
Assignment on Finite Element Analysis
Use the finite element (FE) software, MIDAS Gen, or any other FE software
1- Create an FE model for the slab.
2- Carry out an FE analysis, considering the boundary conditions that are provided by the columns, and the permanent and variable loads as below. Characteristic permanent loads: self weight plus 1.5 kN/m2 for partitions.
Characteristic variable load: 4 kN/m2
Assume the building is braced against wind loading.
Slab thickness: find the smallest thickness, rounded to the nearest 25mm, such that the vertical deflection does not exceed the permissible limit of EC2.
Pattern loading on the slab must be considered, but not the flexural stiffness of the columns.Output: you are required to produce a 1000 words technical report that includes the following:• Explanation of the methodology that was used to model and analyse the slab.
• A plan of the geometrical model.
• Contour lines of deflected shape, bending stresses and shear stresses.
• A table showing maximum deflections against different slab thicknesses.
• Explanation about the loading used.
• Recommendation on the smallest slab thickness to use, and the reasoning behind it.
• 10 marks for showing the punching shear calculations as per the Eurocodes.
• 10 marks for showing the effect of refining the mesh.
• 10 marks for discussing ways of decreasing the self weight of the slab.